Are you eligible?

Qualifying Employment

Membership in TEI is individual-based; we do not offer company memberships. Membership is open to corporate employees whose work consists principally of administering taxes on an executive or management level and who meet certain minimum experience requirements. Individuals engaged in public tax practice are not eligible for membership.

Minimum Corporate Tax Experience

Applicants must have a minimum of five years' corporate tax experience or its equivalent (see below) and hold a tax position in a profit-oriented business. The five years of corporate tax experience means a minimum of five years' full-time employment or its equivalent in a department charged with the responsibility of administering the taxation of a publicly or privately owned profit-oriented corporation or enterprise that (except for Crown Corporations) is required to file annual income tax returns according to the laws of the country in which the enterprise resides.

Equivalent Experience

Employment in the following areas may be substituted for an equivalent part of the required minimum five years:

  • Employment in a company based on the percentage of time devoted to tax affairs (including customs activities) during the period of employment.
  • Employment in a private law firm as tax counsel whose duties involved advising clients on business tax matters.
  • Employment in the tax department of a public accounting firm whose duties involved advising clients on business tax matters.
  • Employment with the revenue department of a national, state, provincial, or local government where principal duties involved the administration of taxes imposed on business entities.
  • Employment in a college of university, teaching business tax in a professional or instructor capacity.

General accounting, auditing, or legal practice (outside the tax field), general government administration, legal or accounting clerkship, or student/work programs generally will not be counted in arriving at the prescribed requisite of five years' tax experience