TEI welcomes corporate employees whose work consists primarily of tax administration at an executive or managerial level and who meet the minimum experience requirements.
Regrettably, professionals engaged in public tax practice, including law firms, accounting firms, and government entities, are not eligible for membership.
If you would like to verify your eligibility, please contact the TEI membership team at email@example.com.
Types of Membership
- Full membership: To qualify for full membership applicants must be in-house tax professionals with a minimum of 5 years of experience. Experience can be accumulated by having worked in an “executive, administrative, or managerial capacity” in the tax function for a minimum of five years on a full-time basis or its equivalent*. Membership cost - $275
- Associate membership: TEI offers Associate membership, exclusively tailored for professionals who do not meet the five-year minimum requirement. Associate members have access to the complete range of benefits TEI offers. This level of membership automatically upgrades to Full membership once the 5 years of experience are accumulated. Membership cost - $100
- Student membership: To become a student member of TEI, applicants must be enrolled full-time in an undergraduate or graduate program which prepares them for a career in taxation. Students cannot be employed full-time but may hold an internship in a tax related position. Membership cost - $25
- Emeritus membership: Emeritus membership is open to retired members or former members who have retired from qualifying employment. Membership cost - $25
- Honorary membership: Honorary membership is granted by TEI’s Board of Directors to individuals who have made significant contributions to the field of tax administration or TEI’s activities. Membership cost - $0
* Equivalent Experience: Employment in the following areas may be substituted for an equivalent part of the required minimum of five years:
- Employment in a private law firm as tax counsel whose duties involved advising clients on business tax matters
- Employment in the tax department of a public accounting firm whose duties involved advising clients on business tax matters
- Employment with the revenue department of a national, state, provincial, or local government where principal duties involved the administration of taxes imposed on business entities
- Employment in a college or university, teaching business tax in a professional or instructor capacity
Legal practice (outside the tax field), general government administration, legal or accounting clerkship, or student/work programs generally will not be counted in arriving at the prescribed requirements of five years' tax experience.
For questions regarding membership levels, or experience requirements, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.