Head of Tax
What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members–they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values—straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management.
Responsible for the leadership of the Tax Department. Active management of the Bank’s federal, state and local tax functions of tax accounting, compliance, planning and controversy.
The following are the primary areas of responsibilities:
- Implement Joint planning projects with BNP NY including the Intermediate Holding Company structure (IHC) and the California Sourcing planning idea with contemporaneous documentation.
- Lower effective tax rate including tax planning involving restructuring, regulatory capital, financing and credits. Conduct tax planning for the bank operations including tax incentives. Optimize Cash Flow Planning, including the minimization of cash overpayments and timely, responsive client service.
- Timely and Accurate Financial Reporting To Parent
- Timely and Accurate Monthly and Year End Tax Provision
- Timely and Accurate Regulatory Capital Reporting for tax items, including CCAR submissions
- Timely and Accurate Federal and Multistate Income Tax Compliance
- Timely and accurate Property Tax Compliance
- Timely and accurate Tax Information Reporting including compliance under FATCA
- Timely and accurate Business License Compliance
- Aggressively defend Federal and State Audits
- Manage Property Tax appeals producing tax savings in a cost effective manner.
- Monitor tax legislation and regulatory changes.
Required Education or Equivalent Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Attorney/CPA/MBA and/or Masters in Taxation preferred
- Minimum of ten to twelve years of corporate tax experience. Experience with financial institutions is preferred.
Field of Experience
- Thorough knowledge of federal and multistate income taxation. Working knowledge of International tax issues (specifically relating to US tax reporting. Working knowledge of FAS 109.ASC 740.
- Leadership skills and experience in running a Tax Department
- Tax Accounting skills including IFRS
- Analytical and research skills
- Compose letters/memos/opinions
- Coordinate meetings
- Negotiation skills
- Planning and organizing
- Presentation skills
- Research information
- Compile statistics
- One Source tax software experience
- Use personal computer
- Excellent teaching and people development skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Tax Transfer Pricing skills
- 5 Direct Managerial Reports (Tax Accounting and Compliance, Audits, Local Taxes, Tax Information Reporting, Administrative Analyst)
- Manages officers and employees across Bank relating to audit issues.