The Tax Manager provides technical tax expertise for property and casualty, life and investment, or state and local tax matters. Directs tax research and planning, and peer company tax analysis. Develops, recommends, and implements tax planning strategies and expense efficiency ideas. Provides counsel and tax advice to business partners. Leads staff in preparing tax projections for budgeting and profit planning, tax provisions and footnotes for the corporate financial statements, various federal, state, or local tax returns, and tax payments. Leads staff in audit defense and improving processes and procedures.
Tax Research, Planning, and Consulting (25%)
- Directs the research and analysis of tax laws, regulations, and cases associated with assigned areas. Monitors legislative and administrative tax developments for assigned areas.
- Leads staff in modeling the potential financial impact for various tax issues. Directs the gathering and analysis of peer company tax information.
- Assists the Tax Director in working with industry tax committees to determine the impacts of proposed changes on the industry and supports industry efforts to improve legislation or regulation.
- Directs the creation of tax positions to maximize the after-tax income of the group. Recommends tax minimization ideas, and tax credit and incentive opportunities to the Tax Director.
- Advises the appropriate company personnel of tax developments, their impact on products or investments, and alternative strategies for complying with the various requirements.
- Directs the use of consultants for tax-minimizing strategies and audit defense of the group.
- Provides counsel to corporate management on the tax and financial implications of mergers and acquisitions, corporate structure, investments, operations, decisions, or initiatives. Assists with lobbying efforts, and other corporate, divisional, or departmental studies, projects, or initiatives.
- Develops and implements expense efficiency opportunities.
Tax Returns and Payments (25%)
- Directs the preparation and review of tax returns for the companies relating to consolidated and separate company federal income tax, state income tax, premium tax, sales and use tax, personal property tax, and information returns (1099 Forms).
- Reviews all significant portions of the tax returns for compliance with established tax rules and precedents, and to ensure that our tax planning strategies are properly implemented.
- Directs staff in the preparation, review, and remittance of payments for quarterly estimated taxes and tax return balances due for federal income tax, state income tax, and premium tax.
- Directs staff in the preparation, review, and remittance of other payments for sales and use tax, purchased tax credits, personal property tax, and income tax (backup) withholding.
- Directs staff with reviewing actual tax expense allocations and payments for compliance with the intercompany tax sharing agreements, and reconciling tax accounts.
- Develops and implements efficient tax return and payment processes.
Financial Statement Tax Provisions and Footnotes (15%)
- Directs and reviews the calculation of internal estimated tax costs for the cash flow forecasts, profit plans, and corporate financial statements, including the calculation of state and federal audit liabilities.
- Directs and reviews the calculation of deferred tax under statutory and GAAP accounting rules for the financial statements as assigned.
- Directs and reviews the preparation of tax related footnotes for quarterly reports, annual statements, and audited financial statements for assigned companies.
- Works with the Accounting areas to insure proper financial statement accounting for items which impact tax positions.
- Ensures model audit rule compliance, documentation, and testing related to assigned areas, and accurate and timely responses to the company`s external auditor and internal audit staff.
- Develops and implements efficient tax provision processes.
Audit Defense (15%)
- Directs staff in handling audits by IRS, state, or local authorities for areas such as: income tax, life insurance products, premium tax, sales tax, or personal property tax.
- Develops strategies, supporting arguments, or approaches that will help minimize adverse audit adjustments or maximize potential refunds.
- Reviews audit findings and recommends whether to accept or appeal proposed adjustments. Leads staff in preparing appeals arguments as needed.
- Represents the companies at audit and appeals conferences and works with outside tax advisors as needed.
- Directs the filing and defense of refund claims that result from new tax planning ideas or new developments with legislative changes, administrative rulings, or court case decisions.
- Directs staff in calculating and analyzing potential audit liabilities and uncertain tax positions.
Management/Leadership for Department or Unit (15%)
- Manages direct reports, systems, and projects to achieve department/unit goals in accordance with Company policies and practices.
- Prepares and analyzes department/unit plans and reports.
- Provides leadership by exhibiting influence and expertise, thus affecting the results of the operating area.
- Creates an effective work environment by developing a common vision, setting clear objectives, expecting teamwork, recognizing outstanding performance, and maintaining open communications.
- Develops staff through coaching, providing performance feedback, providing effective performance assessments, and establishing performance & development plans.
Strategies Linked to the Division's Business Goals/Results (5%)
- Establishes, communicates, and implements departmental plans, objectives, and strategies.
- Participates as a member of the Management Team.
- Maintains an active awareness of American Family's business environments, corporate culture, and structure to support key decision-making.
Additional Job Description
Candidates selected for an interview with the hiring manager will be asked to complete a leadership skills assessment.
How to Apply
Apply on line at WWW. AmFam.com – job I.D R7175 https://amfam.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/Careers/job/WI-Madison-Natl-HQ/State---Local-Tax-Manager_R7175