Synopsys is at the heart of more technology than you may have imagined. Chances are, any element of technology you use is enabled or influenced by Synopsys―from everyday conveniences like smartphones and wearables to mission-critical applications for medical and automotive safety.
The greatest companies around the world use our tools to design amazing things like autonomous cars, smart homes, and machines that learn. Our commitment to making silicon smarter and software more secure in cyberspace makes an impact on everything, everywhere, every day.
For 30+ years, Synopsys has nurtured a culture of integrity and excellence that fosters creativity, care for each other, and concern for the community around us. We value diversity and different perspectives. And we embrace everyone from enthusiastic learners to world-class innovators wanting to make their mark in the era of Smart, Secure Everything.
The Senior Tax Manager, Tax Reporting and Compliance is a critical role within the Synopsys Tax function. This position is responsible for the management of Synopsys’ U.S. GAAP global income tax provision and related SOX compliance, as well as its Non-GAAP tax reporting. The position includes management of the U.S. federal and state tax compliance filings, the internal R&D credit study, as well as acquisition related due diligence, reporting and integration. The role will also be responsible for ensuring compliance with the latest rules on tax accounting and SEC pronouncements (e.g., Tax reform, BEPS, ASU 2016-16, ASC606 etc.).
The Senior Manager position reports to the Director of Tax Reporting and U.S. Compliance and currently supervises a staff of two people. This position interacts regularly with the Corporate Finance Organization and is the primary tax contact for the external auditors.
The Senior Manager’s role will:
- Manage the GAAP quarterly and annual consolidated global tax provision and related disclosures.
- Manage the calculation of the Non-GAAP effective tax rate and related reporting.
- Prepare the executive summary of provision/tax account analysis on a quarterly/annual basis.
- Manage Federal and State income tax compliance including tax returns, estimates and extensions and responses to Federal and State IDR/IAPs.
- Manage overall compliance with SOX controls.
- Partner with the International tax functions to fulfill the above responsibilities.
- Manage internal R&D credit study.
- Manage the ASC 718 (123R) computations.
- Manage tax due diligence, integration and preparation of tax purchase price accounting (PPA) for U.S. acquisitions.
- Monitor current tax accounting rules, SEC reporting pronouncements and federal and state income tax law and ensure proper application as part of the company’s tax accounting provision and compliance processes.
- Drive special projects such as improvements to the tax provision and compliance processes, analysis of income taxes of transactions, acquisitions, and divestitures, modeling the expected impact of U.S. tax law changes and projects relating to other business initiatives.
- Collaborate/partner across the business units and Finance department on income tax accounting and disclosure matters as well as cross-functional initiatives.
- Manage, train and develop staff to support career growth.
- Develop hands-on working knowledge of SAP, Sharepoint and OneSource Tax provision and compliance.
ESTIMATED PERECENTAGE BREAKDOWN OF TIME SPENT IN TAX SPECIALTIES:
|State Income Tax
|U.S. International Outbound Tax
ESTIMATED PERCENTAGE BREAKDOWN IN THE FUNCTIONAL AREAS:
|Technical Tax Accounting work including the FAS123R calculation (includes hands-on as required)
|Federal & State Compliance review including review of the R&D Study
|Strategic Planning/M&A including Purchase Accounting for acquisitions
|Management including mentoring and development of staff
|Tax Audit Support including management of the state audits
POSITION DELIVERABLES – ACCOMPLISHMENTS EXPECTED TO BE COMPLETED DURING THE FIRST 12 MONTHS:
- Provision Accuracy – Within the first year have the quarterly and year-end tax provisions complete KPMG audit with minimum changes ensuring all tax reform provision impacts are reported accurately. Build a solid understanding and working knowledge of OneSource tax provision software for year-end provision.
- Maintain the current strong working relationship with Synopsys’ outside audit firm and be able to act as the point person on quarter and year-end audits.
- R&D Study – Oversee the successful completion of the R&D study and the analysis of the new IRS R&D directive (LB&I-04-0917-005).
- M&A Activity –Assist with tax due diligence, integration and preparation of tax purchase price accounting (PPA) for U.S. acquisitions as needed.
- Assess and implement income tax provision and compliance requirements related to U.S. tax reform.
- Assess staff capabilities and needs, and develop a cohesive tax team and train staff.
- A minimum of 10 years of combined tax experience in a Big 4 accounting firm and Tax department of a large multinational high technology corporation managing global tax provision and federal and state tax compliance.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and financial analysis skills required to convey the tax impact of complex technical issues to tax team and non-tax business partners.
- Demonstrated track record in building collaborative relationships within the Finance team.
- Strong tax technical understanding of and experience with ASC 740, FIN 48, accounting for stock-based compensation, and accounting principles.
- Competence in U.S. international tax concepts at a level needed to assess income tax accounting impacts required.
- Strong project management, ownership and leadership skills.
- Strong experience with using and implementing technology for the tax accounting and compliance processes (preferably OneSource).
- Tax technical understanding of federal and state tax compliance.
- Detailed-oriented, organized, with strong analytical skills combined with the ability to see the big picture.
- High degree of accuracy and proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Hands-on preparation when required.
- Highly motivated leader who embraces change and is a champion of continuous improvement.
- Passionate, inquisitive, innovative and comfortable challenging assumptions.
- Proven record of strong team management, training and development of staff.
- Must be a team player with strong interpersonal skills and capable of partnering across the organization to communicate tax requirements, develop and respond to information requests and plan for multiple deadlines for key tax deliverables.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required
- Masters of Taxation required
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
WHAT MAKES THIS POSITION A UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY?
- You are part of the tax management “think tank” where you brain storm in coming up with analyses, alternatives and solutions for tax and non-tax aspects of the business.
- This department is led by a dynamic VP of Tax that is well known in Silicon Valley for developing world-class tax functions that align and partner with the business.
- You interact and learn from highly knowledgeable and collaborative tax colleagues outside of your core areas which enriches your experience and expands your knowledge base.
- Continuous focus on making tax processes efficient and effective.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit resume to: Adam Golden firstname.lastname@example.org Telephone: (918) 281-3300