On any given day, every moment matters to someone, somewhere. And every moment, Motorola Solutions’ innovations, products and services play essential roles in people’s lives. We help firefighters see around buildings and police officers see around street corners. We keep utility workers connected and visible to each other with real-time voice and data communication across the smart grid. And we provide the situational awareness first responders need when a moment brings catastrophe. We help people be their best in their moments that matter.
This role will be primary contact for interaction with various tax authorities regarding sales/use tax inquires and audits. This role will ensure that tax planning and audit risk reduction initiatives are properly incorporated into the sales/use tax compliance process. This role will support Management, Accounting, and other internal teams focusing on M&A, IT initiatives, reserve requirement, restructurings, and other projects by providing technical sales/use tax knowledge and advice as needed.
- Execute the process for sales and use tax audits. Primary point of contact for tax authorities and/or external consultants. Analyze and respond to information requests in the resolution of audit issues. Close audits with the most favorable result for the Company.
- Partner with Tax and other group functions to provide sales/use tax support and development of new processes for IT initiatives, internal restructurings, M&A, or other planning projects.
- Consult with compliance staff by explaining complex sales tax concepts and procedures, suggest improvements in documentation and return positions, and advise in the minimization of audit risks.
- Provide sales/use tax advice on particular transactions to Management, both in the US and abroad.
- Manage sales tax reserve requirements and collaborates with other Tax and Accounting personnel on the same.
- Proactively recommend changes in sales tax procedures, methodology and/or sales tax calculations as needed.
- Monitor sales/tax legislation and conducts research of applicable tax laws as needed.
- Manage sales/use tax consulting relationships by identifying external consultants for projects, developing scope and fees, and managing successful completion of project deliverables.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or other business related discipline is required. Masters’ Degree and/or CPA is a plus.
- At least 5 years relevant experience at managing sales and use tax audits and negotiating with state auditors is required.
- Strong knowledge of various state and local sale/use tax laws and procedures, and experience in research of the same, is required.
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office and/or Google are required.
- Oracle experience is a plus.
- Appropriate interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills are required.
- Strong organizational skills, detail oriented & ability to multi-task; embraces ad-hoc projects with a positive attitude. Willing to balance being hands-on and strategic at all times.
- Willing to travel up to 10% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).
- Experience in developing and delivering oral and/or written presentations to various audience levels within an organization is a plus.
- Experience in direct income tax or other indirect tax areas is a plus.