What You Will Do
The Treasury, Pension, & Tax (CFO-TPT) organization is seeking a Tax Accountant to work on tax compliance and reporting for the Los Alamos National Laboratory . The professional accounting position reporting to the Tax and Treasury Group Leader with re sponsibilities to include:
Accountant 2 ($59,100 — $93,800)
- Ensuring that financial data and tax returns are accurately, completely and properly recorded Federal and State Taxing Authorities, the Department of Energy (DOE), the Los Alamos National Security (LANS), and other regulatory agencies in accordance with applicable standards and requirements.
- Assuring compliance with federal, state and local tax laws and regulations.
- Conducting research and planning according to applicable tax laws and regulations.
- Minimizing tax liability through sound and informed application of laws and regulations.
- Interpret and apply LANL policies, applicable DOE Orders, DOE Accounting Standards, Cost Accounting Standards (CAS), and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) are essential to these positions.
- Consult on general tax accounting issues, identifying and implementing tax accounting planning opportunities, and performing accounting method studies.
- Follow and report current tax accounting developments; researching, writing, and analyzing technical tax accounting issues; performing inventory and accounting method studies; and developing relationships with clients and practice office personnel.
- Interpret and apply Laboratory policies, contract requirements, applicable DOE orders, cost accounting standards, GAAP and Federal and State tax statutes.
Accountant 3 ($71,000 — $115,700)
In addition to the duties outlined above, the Accountant 3 will have a dvanced working experience with tax accounting and financial analysis and demonstrated knowledge of Laboratory resources, goals, and policies, with the ability to incorporate them in interactions with stakeholders and constituents.
The candidate must demonstrate experience working as a team member in a high volume, deadline driven environment.Must have strong organizational skills.Ability to work outside a normal schedule as the work requires and reliability and availability are a must.
This position will be filled at either the 2 or 3 level, depending on the knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience of the selected candidate.Additional job responsibilities or job complexities will be assigned if the candidate is hired at the higher level.
What You Need
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Comprehensive experience with accounting and financial concepts and principles, plus working knowledge of related activities gained through specialized work experience.
- Comprehensive experience with tax accounting and financial analysis; developing, interpreting and applying tax accounting rules and regulations.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Cost Accounting Standards (CAS) .
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in identifying performance deficiencies, internal management control systems, and development strategies to modify procedures to improve and enhance processes and controls.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to effectively present detailed and complex information and findings in an understandable manner.
- Demonstrated proficient use of software applications, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access.Advanced knowledge of Excel a plus.
- Position typically requires a Bachelor’s degree (Masters Preferred) in Accounting or related field and a minimum of five years related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Additional Job Requirements For Accountant 3
- Advanced working experience with accounting and financial concepts and principles, plus working knowledge of related activities gained through specialized work experience.
- Advanced working experience with tax accounting and financial analysis; developing, interpreting and applying financial policies and procedures; performing self-assessments; ability to analyze and resolve account discrepancies; ability to design effective reconciliation processes.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Cost Accounting Standards (CAS) .
- Advanced knowledge and experience in identifying performance deficiencies, internal management control systems, and development strategies to modify procedures to improve and enhance processes and controls.
- Position typically requires a Bachelor’s degree (Masters Preferred) in Accounting or related field and a minimum of eight years related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.<
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
- Knowledge of tax research methods with ability to interpret tax laws, prepare general tax research memorandums, and formulate recommendations for management.
- Has experience in employment taxation.
- Has knowledge of New Mexico gross receipts tax.
- Has experience working with Oracle Business Information System.
- Experience in corporate tax return filings.
Notes to Applicants: For full consideration, applicants must provide a comprehensive cover letter that addresses the applicant’s knowledge, skills, and abilities compared to the Key Position Requirements noted in this job posting.
- Clearance: Q (Position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements* for access to classified matter.
- Eligibility requirements: To obtain a clearance, an individual must be at least 18 years of age; U.S. citizenship is required except in very limited circumstances. See DOE Order 472.2 for additional information.
- New-Employment Drug Test: The Laboratory requires successful applicants to complete a new-employment drug test and maintains a substance abuse policy that includes random drug testing.
- Regular position: Term status Laboratory employees applying for regular-status positions are converted to regular status.
Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regards to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations.The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to email@example.com or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.
Where You Will Work
Located in northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. LANL enhances national security by ensuring the safety and reliability of the U.S. nuclear stockpile, developing technologies to reduce threats from weapons of mass destruction, and solving problems related to energy, environment, infrastructure, health, and global security concerns.
The Treasury, Pension, & Tax (CFO-TPT) organization is responsible for the following: cash management; administration of the US Bank corporate travel card; support administration of the pension plan; and oversee tax compliance and reporting for the Laboratory.
How to Apply
Please visit LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/455138522/ to apply