Since the Mission, Principle, and Purposes of TEI
can be achieved only by the observance on the part of its members of the highest standards of professional conduct, the Board of Directors adopted the following.
- The member accepts taxes as the cost of civilization and accepts the laws imposing taxes as the mechanism for distributing that cost among businesses and individuals. The member will comply with those laws, whether or not agreeing with them.
- The member recognizes an obligation to minimize company tax liability, within the bounds of the law and to the extent consistent with policies or objectives of the company, having due regard for the interests of society in sound tax policy, and will advise and support action to obtain that objective, to the best of the member’s ability.
- The member recognizes an obligation to make an affirmative contribution to the sound administration of tax laws, and to the adoption of sound tax legislation, by cooperation and consultation with the persons charged with those functions, having due regard for the interests of society, as well as the interest of the company and its employees.
- The member accepts each Government representative as a person devoted to fulfilling the obligation to collect revenue honorably in accordance with law. The member will deal with the representatives on that basis, and will take occasion with others to uphold this view of Government representatives. In case of any deviation of a representative from that standard, the member will present the pertinent facts to the authorities authorized to take action with respect to the deviation.
- The member will present the facts required in tax returns and all the facts pertinent to the resolution of questions at issue with representatives of the government imposing the tax.
- The member will employ assistants and outside representatives upon the basis of their technical competence, always having due regard for the highest standards of professional ethics.
- The member will at all times recognize a duty of professionalism and will not use TEI membership to solicit business or sell products to other members.